My journey to shoot for the moon.

Finally, I decided that I had enough and needed to get it checked out.  Off to the doctor.  Then to the hospital for x-rays.  The doctor suggested that I ice, elevate and stay off of it as much as possible.  She also had me make an appointment with a podiatrist (which I would cancel, if it turned out I didn’t need it).  X-rays came back – no break.   Staying off of it wasn’t helping and it was nearly impossible.  At this point the pain was increasing.  Doctor had me come in to get a walking boot.  My appointment with the podiatrist was 2 1/2 weeks away.The boot helped.  Some.  And only if I was careful.  If I didn’t try to walk too fast.  If I wasn’t careful, I would end up with pain shooting through my foot.  Debilitating pain.  I was heading out of my classroom to walk a student to Counseling.  I was frustrated because of the situation she was in and walking fairly quickly.  I stepped down.  I almost fell over because of the pain.  I reached out to the student and she held my arm.  I was actually seeing stars.

Finally, it was the day of my appointment.  The podiatrist took another set of x-rays.  However, this time they were while I was standing and putting weight on my foot.  Sure enough, there was a break.  Back by the 4th and 5th Metatarsals and the Cuboid.

In addition to the main break, there were stress fractures at the 4th and 5th Metatarsals.  So, the treatment was to continue in the boot and not to put any weight on my foot.  Right – can you see the rolling of my eyes?  Impossible.  But, I would do the best I could.  What other choice did I have?
I knew that crutches would not be a good option, so I rented a knee scooter (more on that in another post).  I spent 2 weeks trying to stay off of it.  Some days I was quite successful and others I failed miserably.  My pain level stayed the same, though.   At my follow-up appointment there was no change.  So, 2 more weeks of trying REALLY HARD to stay off it.
Several days after my appointment and I’m doing better staying off of it.  I’m doing a combination of the scooter, crutches and a chair.  I’m hopping a bit, too.  My next appointment with the podiatrist is on June 13, so we’ll see where things are at.
And really, if I hadn’t started working towards the 5K I wouldn’t be in this situation!  See what happens when you try to do the right thing!
*For those of you who don’t know me very well, the last two sentences are tongue-in-cheek.  I am antsy because I can’t exercise (I can’t even swim – I can do core exercises and upper body, but honestly my muscles are so fatigued from the scooter and the crutches, that I can’t).  My back and hip hurt from the scooter (more on that in another post) and I’m struggling to do normal daily things.  I will get to my 5K.  It is just going to take a lot longer than the 12 weeks I planned to train.  When I can put weight on my foot (in the walking boot), I hope to start doing some core and upper body work.  Hopefully, at that time, I’ll be able to swim.  As far as my diet goes, I know that I am a stress and fatigue eater.  I am trying to watch things, but it is very difficult.  Since I’m not allowed to put weight on my foot, it is hard to cook.  I can’t push a grocery cart, so I have to have help at the store.  One thing rolls into another making it quite challenging.  I’m hoping that I can manage to prepare some healthy meals.  But I’ll keep you posted.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: