My journey to shoot for the moon.

Coffee, Keurig and Fog

I didn’t start drinking coffee until after I had Michael. My mom drank it black when I was growing up and I didn’t like it. The idea of putting creamer in coffee added a whole new dimension (and a ton of calories, but that’s another story). I found that I needed the caffeine due to the lack of sleep I experienced when the boys were little.After needing coffee for the caffeine, I now find that I enjoy a cup (or more) in the morning.  Somehow, coffee signals my brain that it is time to start working.  Nearly every morning over the past 11 years I’ve gotten up and made coffee.  When I’ve had things together, I would get the pot ready before I went to bed, so all I had to do in the morning was turn it on.  However, I almost never drank a pot of coffee.  When Chris was home we would go through a pot, but Chris didn’t usually drink coffee until he went into work.  This, in my opinion, was a huge waste.  But, I was never able to decide how much coffee I should make on any given day.

Sometimes, I would pack up the coffee and take it with me to work (where I didn’t have a coffee pot), but other days I would be done after having my one cup.

When Keurig came out with their coffee machines, I thought it was a great idea.  But a costly one.  When I was student teaching, there was a Keurig machine in the teacher’s lounge, but I rarely got down there.  On cold days, I would head down to make some hot chocolate, but that was about it (it wasn’t really safe to have hot drinks around the kids I was working with).

Last year Chris and I started talking about getting a Keurig.  I thought that it would make sense to be able to make one cup of coffee at a time.  Chris agreed.  So, at the end of April, as an early Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and 19th Anniversary gift, Chris got a Keurig.

Keurig Platinum Machine – copied from

At that time, I felt that the machine he bought was overkill.  Did we really need to spend that much money on a coffee pot?  However, after using it for a while, I have come to love it.  Except, when it doesn’t work right.  Our tap water causes buildup, so we switched to bottled water for coffee.  Even then, we seem to have to de-scale it fairly frequently.  De-scaling isn’t a big deal, it is just time-consuming and our machine didn’t seem to tell us that we needed to de-scale before it started having difficulty functioning, so we would be without coffee when de-scaling.

Christmas morning, I got up and went to get a cup of coffee.  I planned to make my favorite – Salted Caramel Mocha.  I made salted caramel sauce the week before and we had whipped cream, so I planned on coffee with salted caramel mocha creamer, topped with whipped cream and then drizzled with salted caramel sauce.  I was REALLY looking forward to it.

And the coffee machine wouldn’t work.  It was so disappointing.  I attempted to de-scale it, but somehow the vinegar was heating and being sent back into the reservoir.  On Thursday, I had David call Keurig (with my hearing impairment, I have a very difficult time understanding anyone with an accent on the phone and generally customer service workers have accents that I cannot understand).  He spent about 15 minutes on the phone with them answering questions.

Then (drum roll please), the customer service person told him that they had no idea what the machine was doing (had never heard of it doing what it was doing) and they were sending us a replacement machine!  Thank you customer service!  No jumping through hoops and standing on our heads, just an apology and a new machine on its way.

Of course, it is going to be 3-7 days before it gets here.  The lack of coffee in the morning has left me in a fog…I guess I need to go through the storage area and see if I can find the old pot…  Starbucks sounds better than digging through everything.  Too bad they don’t deliver!



Comments on: "Coffee, Keurig and Fog" (1)

  1. […] I got up and headed to the store.  I needed coffee (you can read about my coffee experience here).  When I got back from the store, I unloaded everything (boys were still sleeping) and got all […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: