Rather than writing a post that tells of my New Year’s Resolutions, this post is going to list the things that I resolve NOT to do in the New Year.
1. I resolve not to let people upset me. The people who usually upset me are the ones that don’t matter. They are the ones who don’t understand, haven’t been there and done that, and don’t care to take time out to be there for me. So, I resolve to make sure that they have such a secondary role in my life that they are unable to upset me. I also resolve not to answer the phone when these people call until I am prepared to talk with them.
2. I resolve not to go to bed without having the dishes done and the sink cleaned out. Babysteps! I resolve not to let everything I learned from FlyLady go by the wayside.
3. I resolve not to use excuses to avoid exercising – that is once my foot is healed. If I can’t walk, it counts as a darn good reason for not exercising – and a legitimate one.
4. I resolve not to run on empty. I’m not talking about my car, but that is important too (but not something I usually do). I’m talking about letting myself get worn down and burnt out. This means that I need to resolve not to allow things to come in the way of ME time.
5. I resolve not to say “yes” all the time. Just because I can do it, doesn’t mean that I should do it. If it is going to cause me to run on empty, then it is something I shouldn’t do.
6. I resolve not to let people waste my time. This goes for doctor’s appointments, meetings, and such. If my time is not meaningful to someone else, then I don’t need to waste my time (except when it comes to my new job).
7. I resolve not to let the boys eat dinner in front of the TV every night of the week. I’m not sure when this happened, but it did. And it is something that we need to change.
8. I resolve not to be a short-order cook. I resolve not to cook more than one thing for dinner. If you don’t like it, then don’t eat it.
9. I resolve not to hold my tongue. t might get me into trouble, but I won’t have the mental anguish that I carry some days.
10. I resolve not to let this year be like last year, the year before, and the year before that. We may have had a lot of crappy stuff happen, we may be fighting cancer, but life is what you make it.