My journey to shoot for the moon.

Michael's First Day of School

Yesterday was Michael’s first day of school.  The only time I haven’t been working on the first day of school, was when we moved to Colorado and school started 2 weeks after we arrived.  Things were crazy.  Michael was in 1st grade and David was in 4th.  They both rode the bus for the first time, daily.  I was still unpacking, organizing, looking for a job (interviewing like crazy) and learning my way around Parker.

Since I am unemployed, I had great visions of what yesterday would be like.  I would get up early and make Michael breakfast.  I would be dressed and smiling when he got up.  He would turn off his alarm and get himself out of bed and get ready.  He would love the breakfast I made him.

Like most things in my life, yesterday did not happen as planned.  It actually started Monday night.  Michael couldn’t sleep.  He said that he was tired, but couldn’t fall asleep.  I had suggested that he go outside earlier in the day to expend some energy so he would be good and tired at bedtime, but he was busy doing things with David and I didn’t have the heart to make them stop.  When they are getting along, they are amazing and when they aren’t, well, it is awful.  As it was their last day of summer vacation together (David starts school on August 8th) and they were getting along (talking and laughing), I didn’t send Michael outside.

At 9:30 pm Michael went to bed.  He didn’t go to sleep.  He got into bed without argument.  It was the latest that he has ever gotten to stay up on a school night.  Until I am working, he doesn’t have to get up until 8 am because we are carpooling (he’ll meet them at 8:50 am) and he isn’t going to daycare in the morning.

I am still coughing and I am certain that it is the end of the pneumonia.  I don’t feel that bad, just tired because I wake up coughing.  Anyway, at 10:30 I decided that I would head to bed.  Just as I was starting to fall asleep, something touched my arm and scared me awake.  It was Michael.  He couldn’t sleep.  Michael is no stranger to our bed.  He slept with us as a baby (more about that in a future post) and he slept with me a lot when Chris lived in Colorado and the boys and I were still in Illinois.   However, Michael is not fun to sleep with.  Chris cannot sleep when Michael is in bed with us.  That is a problem since he needs his sleep and he has enough difficulties sleeping without Michael helping.

Michael and I had an arrangement for a while where he would get into bed with me and then head to his own bed when he started feeling sleepy.  Monday night this wasn’t going to work because Michael claimed he was already sleepy.  Chris was tired and sent Michael back to bed.  We live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment.  The boys share a room with bunk beds.  Michael has the top.  This means that I can’t get into Michael’s bed with him until he falls asleep. David is a night-owl and since he isn’t starting school until next week, was watching TV.  That meant that I couldn’t put Michael on the couch and sit with him until he fell asleep.  So, Michael went back to bed.

I lay in bed and after 20 minutes of feeling guilty, got up to check on Michael.  He was almost asleep, until I asked him if he was ok.  That woke him up.  It was just about 11 pm – David’s bedtime, so he headed to bed and Michael and I moved to the couch.  Finally, at about midnight he was in a deep sleep and I went to bed myself.

Chris’ alarm woke me up at 6 am.  Although, it wasn’t his regular alarm, it was the alarm on his phone.  His regular alarm had already gone off and he was in the bathroom when the phone alarm rang.  My alarm was set for 6:45 am so I could be up and dressed and working on breakfast when Michael got up (he decided he wanted to get up at 7:30 am).  I was still trying to doze when Chris left.  Although, he didn’t really leave then because the Tracker was leaking something (again, that is another story).  He came back in to tell me that he was taking the old van (see Herman and Foreclosure Parts 1 and 2).  So much for sleeping.

So, I got up.  Turned on the coffee and remembered that Michael was on the couch.  The kitchen and living room are all one bigger room in our apartment.  Turning on the lights would wake Michael.  Since he didn’t get to bed until VERY late and it was the first day of school, I didn’t want to do that.  But that meant that breakfast would be much more difficult to make:  cooking in the dark isn’t my specialty.  So, I decided to make muffins for him.

Michael asleep on the couch with Sugar.

When the boys were little and I was a mostly stay-at-home mom, I made my own bread (from scratch and by hand – not in a bread machine).  Birthday cakes were made at home in Wilton pans and decorated with colored icing (not the healthiest, but it was for birthdays).  Dinner was often all homemade.  I made cookies for the kids and pancakes for breakfast.  Muffins were made from scratch.  But not after I started working full-time.  Yes, I still made things from scratch (although bread was made in a bread machine), but not to the same degree.  Cookies and muffins came from mixes most of the time and I had to accept that it was good enough.  And it was, usually.

Michael asleep on the couch with the blanket over his head.

But I had visions of being Suzie Homemaker while I was unemployed.  That the kids would come home to freshly baked cookies and a spotless house.  Chris would come home and dinner would be ready soon after he walked in.  The boys would get up smelling wonderfully cooked breakfasts.

Who am I kidding?  Our place is stuffed to the gills and while I’m making progress getting things together, 2 1/2 years of working on my Master’s while working full time made a major impact on my housekeeping.  Then Chris got sick and while you wouldn’t think that it would create housekeeping difficulties, it does because we are in such a small place.  If he is sleeping you can’t run the vacuum, you can’t get into my room and do stuff there because you will wake him up.  When he is sitting on the couch, it is tough to work around him.  Honestly, he is usually in the place I want to work on when I want to work on it.  It isn’t his fault, it is just the way it is.

Today, I will try to get myself organized for the remainder of the week, as I have a lot to accomplish.  I will place my big rocks (7 Habits of Highly Effective People) and I’ll use my timer and use my reminders (FlyLady) and set my phone alarm so I don’t forget I pick-up today from school.  I will also banish all visions of Suzie Homemaker because all she does is doom me to failure.

The muffins, even though they were from a mix, were good enough.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: